Collaboration means working with one or more other individuals to finish a project or assignment, or to develop ideas or procedures.
Collaboration happens in the workplace when two or more individuals with different skills work together to achieve a common objective that benefits the team or organization.
Workplace collaboration necessitates interpersonal skills, communication skills, information sharing, and planning, and it can take place in a typical office or among members of a virtual team.
It can unleash people’s creativity, which is what keeps employees engaged and inventive.
In this article, we will define collaboration, examine why it is essential, and discuss how a robust collaboration module in an enterprise content management system may aid in the completion of work in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Collaboration is the joint effort of many individuals or group of people working together to complete a job or achieve a common goal.
When two or more people work on different aspects of a project independently, they are at best coordinated. When they need to get together to help one-another because they cannot proceed alone, that is collaboration.
People are naturally collaborative. We humans are social beings who exist by engaging and connecting with others.
Everyone wants and needs to be a part of a community or to be a part of a similar group of individuals. The power of collaboration is having a shared work target, such as a problem, a project, or a shared goal.
When working from home has become the new standard, virtual collaboration has surpassed the old method with the use of modern technological solutions.
The ability of employees to operate as a team with clear and defined goals is one of the important criteria for a successful organization. It ensures that team members are aligned with the bigger vision and everyone is working in the same direction and speed.
Why Collaboration in Workplace is Important?
Collaboration is important and necessary since no single individual can finish the work, solve the problem, or reach the objective alone. Rather, we need to pool a diverse range of other people’s skills and expertise.
The ultimate objective of workplace collaboration is to improve company results and project success. Not only that, but encouraging effective team collaboration inside businesses would enhance workflow, team relationships, productivity, and efficiency.
Below are a few of the most significant benefits of workplace collaboration:
- Increased Employee Satisfaction: Workplace collaboration contributes to the creation of an atmosphere in which employees feel appreciated for both their individual abilities and their input. Employee happiness not only has a positive impact on company culture, but it can also lead to increased retention.
- Increased Efficiency: Digital collaboration specially during remote work increases the efficiency of business operations. When team members collaborate in a positive and supportive atmosphere, they are more likely to fulfill project deadlines. in addition, It assists in increasing the transparency of your initiatives, which encourages greater accountability and facilitates cross-team collaboration.
- Enhanced Problem Solving: Working in a team with a diverse range of talents and ideas makes problem solving easier and faster than working alone. When multiple individuals focus their expertise and share the burden, the time it takes to address difficulties is significantly reduced.
- Boosts Productivity: Keeping everyone informed about project progress, new possibilities, and future obstacles encourages conversation, which allows you to speed up the creation and execution of solutions. Working in a collaborative environment makes employees more responsible and motivated.
- Improves Agility: Organizations must be more agile than ever before in order to handle various disruptive challenges. They must be digitally native in order to easily alter business models and respond faster to new challenges.
- More Productive Meetings: One of the most major benefits of collaboration is that it improves meeting efficiency. By proactively recording their job progress, team members will require fewer meetings to complete their duties.
- Increased Profitability: When a good and encouraging corporate culture is established, employees will give their all to meet their goals, which will have a beneficial impact on the overall growth and profitability of the firm.
Guidelines for Effective Collaboration
We now realize the power of collaboration and how critical it is for businesses to establish a strong team collaboration culture. We know that it leads to better ideas and outputs, not to mention that it makes the work process more meaningful and pleasurable overall.
However, many guidelines or practices must be followed and executed internally in order to develop such an atmosphere.
In this part, we will discuss the most essential rules that businesses should adhere to and support in order to achieve the most successful digital remote collaboration.
- Clear Objectives: What organizations are attempting to do must have a clear and well-defined shared objective. Without it, achieving anything as a team is extremely hazardous. Furthermore, a clear goal should be communicated to the team at all times. For successful team collaboration, a shared vision, established milestones, the lack of hidden motives, and a single objective at the end are all required.
- Skills Diversification: A well-balanced diversity of abilities is required to divide work fairly and allow team members to learn from one another and improve both emotionally and professionally.
- Establish Communication Protocols: It is critical for the team to have well established communication standards in order to communicate and collaborate. This guideline will indicate when to utilize email, Slack, or other messaging services, as well as what information should be communicated in person.
- Be Coachable: As Michael Jordan used to say, my best skill was that I was coachable. I was a sponge and aggressive to learn. Such an attitude among all team members would facilitate team collaboration and assist team members to grow and deliver.
- Use The Right tools: The appropriate digital collaboration tools may make it easier for team members to interact, exchange files and papers, and collaborate. The usage of standard tools by all team members is the way to proceed.
- Be Ready: When it comes to disruptive times like COVID19, having a digital collaboration mechanism might be critical. Companies that rely on digital remote collaboration were in a better position to allow workers to work from home with little to no downtime.
- Lead By Example: When it comes to effective corporation, the team leader should be a role model. Make time for your team to create and participate by always welcoming co-creation, promoting open communication, and providing time for them to develop and collaborate.
- Give Permission To Lead: The important thing to remember is that excellent leaders must also be good followers. The true trick is knowing when you should lead and when you should follow.
- Trust: When members trust one another, they work together. They truly listen to one another and presume the best in one another here. They grow transparent and even vulnerable with time.
How To Manage Document Collaboration?
The majority of businesses continue to rely on email as a primary medium for employee collaboration. In reality, as we use email for internal and external communications, email archiving, and collaboration in our daily operations, the quantity of emails will only grow over time.
In addition to emails, several businesses have adopted the use of enterprise file sharing and synchronization (EFSS) solutions such as Dropbox to provide their workers with the capacity to manage and share their documents. While this may be enough for small businesses, it is far from ideal for medium to large-sized corporations.
Using emails to manage the document collaboration process has a number of drawbacks, including the danger of losing track of what was shared, commented on, and the proper document version to review, as well as the security risk of having the document distributed to unauthorized individuals.
Today, medium to big businesses should invest in an ECM solution for a variety of reasons and one of which is to improve cooperation among workers, partners, and customers by linking people and processes to circulate ideas, stimulate innovation, and exchange information.
The majority of enterprise content management or document management systems on the market offer two options for document collaboration:
View only: The invitee is given temporary access to a read-only version of the document.
Edit mode: Temporary modification of fundamental document fields, metadata, or attachments.
Comment: When certain employees in the organization are required to take actions on the document, having the ability for this group to collaborate with minimal effort by adding comments on the document version, adding attachments, inviting other team members, or tagging specific colleagues will undoubtedly boost their productivity and allow them to focus their efforts on more important subjects.
Most businesses, particularly those in the construction sector, require more complex cooperation mechanisms under specific circumstances.
Ultimately, employees should be able to open a document from within the system and do advanced annotations, redlining, and add a comprehensive markup toolkit of shapes and text.
Such enhanced capability will offer a lot of value and aid in real-time collaboration among employees on the most recent version of the text.
Approval Documents: Using the system’s enhanced features, most, if not all, of the existing document approval scenarios can be automated. By automating document approvals, you will enhance transparency, productivity, and significantly minimize the time required to approve the document.
It takes time and effort to create a collaborative workplace, but the result is well worth it. Organizations risk losing their potential to develop and boost results if they do not engage in effective and digital collaboration.
Every company should strive to provide the greatest atmosphere for workers to thrive and, as a result, develop your business.