Organizations are becoming more digitalized, and the digital era has brought about a change in the way work is done. With this, organizations also need to keep up with the changing needs of their employees. In this guide, I ranked and reviewed the 7 best workflow management software, along with my top 3 choices, so that you can pick the best one.
The 7 best workflow management software are Camunda, BonitaSoft, Appian, ProofHub ,Asana, Nintex, ProcessMaker, and Kissflow.
Workflow management software is a tool that helps to improve the efficiency of a company’s workflows. It helps to automate repetitive tasks, track time and progress, and have a better understanding of who is doing what so that they can be assigned more relevant tasks.
The main goal of workflow management software is to increase productivity and reduce cost for companies. For example, it can help with scheduling employees so that they are not working on the same day or the same hour at the same place when they could be working on different days or hours at different places.
A workflow management tool is a key tool for companies to manage their employees’ workflow. It helps them understand what tasks need to be done by whom and when. This allows them to streamline their processes and increase productivity.
Let’s get started reviewing the best workflow management solutions available.
Comparison of Best Workflow Software
|Best Workflow Automation Software||Free Trial||Price||Deployment|
|BonitaSoft||Yes||Not disclosed||Cloud, On-Premise|
|Appian||Yes||Not disclosed||Cloud, On-Premise|
|ProcessMaker||Yes||Not disclosed||Cloud, On-Premise|
What is the Best Workflow Management Software?
Here are my picks for the best workflow management tools for streamlining your business processes.
The top workflow management solutions are:
Camunda is an open-source workflow management software that provides a lot of flexibility and control. This workflow automation software is being used in many industries and it is currently being used by many companies.
It has been around since 2008, when it was developed by the company called Camunda AB which released it as an open-source software in 2009. These workflow tools provide a lot of flexibility and control to its users, who can use it for their business needs.
It is currently being used by many companies where it helps them manage their workflows, automate processes, integrate with other systems easily, and simulate business processes.
The BPMN Engine, DMN Engine and Camunda Modeler products can be used in their full functionality for the free version.
- Out-of-the-box connecters
- Easy collaboration between business rules and developers
- Integration with legacy systems, RPA bots, microservices, and more.
- Visual reports
- Standards-based modeling capability
- Flowchart and diagrams drawing software
- Task management
- Builtin connectors plus ability to create custom connectors
- Easy to use
- Great support for developers
- Comprehensive APIs
- Comprehensive documentation
- GUI lacks shortcuts
- Professional: $990/month
- Enterprise: Custom to your needs
Bonitasoft is one of the best workflow management software (open source) that helps organizations design, execute, and monitor business processes. This workflow automation software is used to automate and optimize manual processes, as well as to improve communication and collaboration between different departments and teams.
The studio to design and model processes is robust and provide lots of out of the box functionalities to help you automate workflows easily.
The free version contains almost all the capabilities needed to start digitalizing employees tasks.
- Living applications
- Process designer
- Business rules engine
- Support for modeling languages
- SOA support (in enterprise edition)
- Form builder
- Task management and tracking
- Social collaboration tools
- Light content management
- Low-code development
- Updates to the Business Data Model are not as smooth
- Community edition: FREE
- Enterprise edition: You need to contact them
Appian is a low-code workflow management software that enables businesses to automate their processes and operations. It provides a platform for businesses to develop, deploy, and manage their workflow tools and applications and helps businesses to save time and money by automating their processes and operations.
Appian is unique because it is the only low-code application platform with built-in artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities. Appian also offers the most complete low-code platform-as-a-service (PaaS) solution in the market.
- Complete intelligent automation capabilities for enterprise workflows tools
- Easily integrate legacy systems
- Workflow management tools
- Design, execute, manage, and optimize complex processes
- Resolve cases and tasks faster
- Make your apps smarter with integrated AI from Google, AWS, and Azure
- Task management and tracking
- Drag-and-drop Interfaces
- Visual business process modeling
- Platform security
- Platform user management
- Supports major mobiles
- AI & ML functionalities could be improved
- Application: Price not disclosed
- Platform: Price not disclosed
- Unlimited: Price not disclosed
ProofHub is an all-in-one project management and collaboration tool that provides you with efficient control over workflow management in your organization. Workflow automation and management play a key role in the timely completion of tasks and also in boosting the overall performance of the team members.
It provides a transparent platform that ensures team members are completely aware of the flow of the project. They are able to identify bottlenecks early and solve them with ease. This ensures the steady progression of the project leading to the timely completion of the project.
- Customizable workflows for completing projects with steps and actions typical to the organization.
- Defining task dependencies ensure that team members are aware of the exact order of the tasks.
- Delegate, monitor, and manage tasks with ease on the centralized task management dashboard.
- Discussions, files, and notes sharing, comments, @mentions, and other collaboration features for smooth progression in the workflow.
- Complete control over projects and teams
- Built-in chats for conveying important information quickly
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Quick onboarding and simple learning curve
- Built-in invoicing and client billing feature is not available
Essential plan – $45 per month (billed annually) for unlimited users
Ultimate control plan – $89 per month (billed annually) for unlimited users
Asana is a workflow management software tools that helps teams track their work and get more done. Asana is used by the top international companies worldwide, including NASA, Spotify, and GE. It is the most popular workflow management tool amongst companies.
It is a unique workflow management system that offers a variety of features that make it a powerful tool for managing workflows. Asana also has a strong focus on collaboration, which makes it a great tool for teams that need to work together on projects.
It has a simple interface that allows you to easily see what your team members are working on at any given time. It also has great integrations with other apps like Dropbox and Trello so you can easily share files or collaborate on projects with your team members.
- Easily create tasks and manage them
- Project management
- Workflow templates
- View your tasks in list, board, calendar, or timeline view.
- Assign deadlines
- Real-time insight
- Easy to model workflows
- Low code development
- Task management
- Workflow automation
- Document management
- Full business process management tools set
- Team collaboration
- Mobile access
- User interface needs improvement
- FREE: For individuals or teams just getting started
- Premium: $10.99 / user / month
- Business: $24.99 / user / month
Nintex workflow management software is a cloud-based tool that helps organizations automate business processes. It offers a drag-and-drop interface for creating workflows, as well as the ability to integrate with other business applications. Nintex also offers a mobile app for accessing workflows on the go.
This best workflow software helps companies to manage their business processes in a more efficient way. It helps organizations automate repetitive tasks by providing automation solutions such as automated emails, automated tasks, and automated approvals.
Nintex also allows users to connect with other systems such as CRM and ERP tools to help them achieve greater efficiency on their end-to-end business process.
- Process mapping and management
- Intelligent forms and mobile apps
- Workflow automation
- Documentation workflow software automation
- SOA support
- Form builder
- Business rules engine
- Process player
- Apple iOS, Android, Mobile Web apps
- Needs more out of the box integrations
- NINTEX WORKFLOW STANDARD: $910 / month / 10 Workflows
- NINTEX WORKFLOW ENTERPRISE: $1400 / month / 10 Workflows
ProcessMaker is an open-source workflow management software that enables organizations to automate document-intensive, approval-based processes across the enterprise, and help with business process improvement. This workflow software is designed to help companies improve efficiency, reduce costs, and improve visibility and control over their business processes.
ProcessMaker is unique in that it provides a complete solution for automating, managing, and optimizing business processes. The software is easy to use and can be deployed quickly, with no need for custom coding. It also offers a wide range of features and integrations, making it a versatile solution for businesses of all sizes.
This workflow management tool comes in two editions: Community and Enterprise. The community version is free to use.
- Easily create and share insights
- Integrate with tools you use every day
- Digitize & streamline processes
- Design elegant forms
- Get real-time alerts (push notifications) for critical information.
- Prices are not fully disclosed. Check out here for more info.
KissFlow is a workflow management tools that enables users to create, track, and manage workflows and processes. The workflow software provides a visual interface for users to drag and drop elements to create workflows, as well as a variety of tools and features for managing workflows.
KissFlow helps companies automate their business processes. It is unique in its ability to provide a visual representation of the workflow, which makes it easier to understand and manage. Additionally, It offers a wide range of features and integrations that make it a powerful tool for businesses of all sizes.
- App builder
- Process creator
- Form designer
- Out of the box integrations
- Small Business: $10 / user / month
- Corporate: $20 / user / month
- Enterprise: Not disclosed
What software to use for workflow?
There are various software possibilities available to manage workflow within enterprises. Camunda, BonitaSoft, and Nintex are a few of the more significant ones. With the help of these tools, you may design processes graphically, assign tasks, define due dates, and handle administrative responsibilities. The best software for your workflow will ultimately depend on your unique requirements.
What are the four major types of workflow management?
The four major types of workflow management are document centric, process centric, rule-based workflow, and collaborative workflow. Each of these workflow types have its usage and can be used to automate the proper types of internal workflow within an organization.